Each one of us wants to be the best. Each one of us dreams of being the next superstar or the next billionaire. But to hit the perfect score, we must be able to hit the bullseye at each turn.
To be a holistic hero of your life, you need to hit the bullseye in all the life domains that you pick. You need to excel in all the roles that you have chosen to play. Let’s see how we can spice up our lives.
- Choose the right partner (a spouse, a teammate, a founder, a mentor, a parent): Whenever start-up investors are asked how do they decide to invest in an idea, they say that they primarily observe two things – the team and the technology. If the co-founder is alone, they would generally want him/her to partner with someone who could complement his/her skills. They check the ‘trust’ quotient between the co-founders otherwise.
The course of life depends on the choice of appropriate partner in various domains of life. The ‘right’ choice boosts up all the building blocks of our life while ‘not so right’ choice dooms our destiny.
Choosing a right life partner is the most crucial decision that decides your happiness on a day-to-day basis.
Never take this decision in haste or under pressure. Own this decision completely by thinking it through.
Your Partnerial excellence depends largely on the personality of the partner whom you choose.
- Choose the right workplace – If you wish to have a career and not a job, if you wish to earn respect as well as money, you need to find the right place to work.
Find a company with a culture that will not only accept you as a young mother(when you become one) but will also celebrate the value you bring to the workplace as a parent.
Find a great place to work that trusts you. ‘Trust’ is the key factor in making an organization a great place to work.
A great workplace is one where the employees:
- ‘Trust’ the people they work for.
- Have ‘pride’ in what they do.
- ‘Enjoy’ the people they work with.
From the manager’s perspective, a great workplace is where they achieve organizational objectives with employees who give their personal best and work together as a team/family in the environment of trust.
Your professional excellence depends largely on the kind of work-place you choose.
- Pivot proactively – Never feel rigid when you zero in on a subject to study or when you choose a profession. Be ready to listen to the changes that happen within you and make corresponding changes in your choices proactively.
A year or two studying chemistry can easily be replaced by the next few years in comedy/creative writing classes if that is what you realize about yourself. Do not get into studying chemistry because you do not want to waste these two years or because your parents will be mad at you.
Even after marriage, take your time to figure out if you both chose the right person. Though we do not cease to change even after getting married, we at least know the tributaries of our river. Share the various plans or dreams that you have for future.
Please try to make final pivot before getting into being parents.
Change your partner, if you must without procrastinating and foolishly believing that ‘Things will improve’.
There is no magic paint that can fill the cracks in the relationship wall.
The cracks emerge again after a few months, through the thick layer of freshly applied paint.
Your parental excellence depends largely on the common family vision that both of you opt-in for.
- Surprise Yourself – You would never know the depth of your potential unless you leave yourself free from your own thoughts about yourself.
People who are frightened of themselves will work for the people who are not afraid.
As a two or three years old, we were who we were – no fear, no self-consciousness. As we grow a little, we start seeing around, listening around and start to think “What will Mom think about me?”, “What will the teacher think about me?”, or “Oh! What will that stranger think about me?”
That is when we start losing ourselves and our real potential.
You enviously marvel at others and find them hugely better than yourself.
Rather than gaping at them, gaze inside yourself and grasp the dice that God gave you to roll.
The various roles on the dice of life are to be uniquely performed by you. No one can sing the tune of our life, no one can compose it either. Surprise yourself by composing it well without sneaking into listening to the songs that others are playing.
Don’t change your story according to the narration of others. Don’t let them prompt your story. Put your headphones on, close your eyes and write your story.